As part of our Age Confidence campaign, I was lucky enough to meet the internationally known make-up artist Debbie Gallagher and ask her about her best makeup tips for a fabulous look over fifty.
In addition to photo shoots for ID, Cosmopolitan, Glamor and InStyle, Debbie has also worked with big names like Jessie J, Lana Del Rey and Minnie Driver – so that she really knows her stuff!
“The most important thing to remember is to keep your skin as hydrated as possible! You have to start with a good everyday life – cleaning, toning and moisturizing are important regardless of your age, but as you get older it is essential.
I firmly believe in the idea that beauty comes from within. You need to take care of yourself from the inside out – eat well, pay attention to what you drink, and aim for eight hours of sleep a night.
- Avoid products that are too matte or shimmery, as the shimmer tends to emphasize fine lines, and matte can look very cake-like and flat.
- Try to use cream-based products where possible – they mix easily and create a very natural, flattering finish. MAC makes great products.
- Less is more! I think this should be the mantra of older women, you should highlight your best qualities while allowing your natural beauty to shine through.
- Emphasize a feature – do you love your lips? Then apply a soft cream-colored lipstick and use natural eye make-up. Beautiful eyes? Use a cream-based shadow to create a fresh eye and keep your lips neutral.
- I like the way Susan Sarandon does her makeup – she always looks so fresh and flawless but never over the top. "
To learn more about Debbie and see her work, look here.
For natural makeup alternatives to Debbie's suggestions, try Inika and UNE – both have some great cream-based products.
Next week, we'd like to find out who your Age Confidence beauty icon is. So be excited about our first Natural Beauty Awards!